layar yang bisu dan tanpa daya menjadi tempat yang tepat untuk tumpahkan semua. objek yang tidak akan pernah jadi subjek. tanpa komplikasi. tanpa kompromi. sesederhana itu.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

a new chapter

Days in days out in this new world of mine with plenty of possibilities yet some restraint are there challenges are everywhere waiting to be plugged in and there was the late chrisye brought the familiar all together struck the fact of being far from people I know most and small and insignificant in this continuous evolving mother earth work in new ways and challenges excited the overall yet conjured mixed-up emotions on the old-fashioned atmospheres from the birds and the chill from the layers of skin and the crowded but cosy room I do miss home yet love the very state of current

Being away
I didn’t have many problems adjusting here without my family and friends, but when I met this person and told me his story, I couldn’t hold up the emotion of being grateful and sad in the same time. He told me that his youngest son (a cute 4 years old) is suffering from blood cancer. Leukaemia to be exact. Yet he managed to appear strong and focus. I’m not a parent, but growing up with a very big and close family; I can only imagine the desperation. He’s here not only for the sake of his future, but for his son as well. He must be away for a while and try to find a better place here in Melbourne for him and his family who will join him later on. And here I am, still thinking and debating for some selfish and unimportant ideas. There are times when I think of all or nothing, but there I was, listening to this man’s story, and couldn’t help to feel embarrassed about some things that I’ve so selfishly thought of and done.

Another story
One of the very early things that I’ve found out here is a little bit like in Indonesia, I suppose, that not many Australians going to uni. Here, entering uni is a privilege, just like in any other part of the world. And I am here now because of the Australians taxes and from thier taxes I can live a modest but prosperous life. (A weird concept, isn’t it? But yes it’s true.) There was guilt sneaked in, but then I thought, “hey I deserves this, I've worked quite hard for this.” In my bank account sits AUD 5000 that I can easily spend for the settlement. Then, I met this (quite an aged) guy whose job is sheering wools and he only made $2 per lamb he sheered. So he said if he wants to make a living out of it, he must sheers 200 lambs everyday. And again, I can’t help but to recall my bank account, the amount of money in it and the amount of the stipend that I’m going to receive this weekend. And later, I couldn’t help myself to think that some of my (and going to be) money comes from him. In a way, I feel like I robbed him or something.

Darn, I know sometimes life’s unfair... But still…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home